Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Very JASCer Thanksgiving (and by 'Very' I Mean 2 Out of 72...)

Forever proving that ECs are capable of hanging out without talking about JASC business (we did watch the 59th video though, which was awesome -- THANKS RYAN!) I spent Thanksgiving this year horrifying Nancy with my family's barbaric treatment of crustaceans. We thought we'd give the turkeys a year off for once, so instead we subjected our delicious lobsters to futile hope of escape across the floor, torment by my cat and various forms of limb separation usually reserved for black-belt martial artists. Nancy also enjoyed (I hope) her first bagel & lox, among her first tastes of NYC, and handing me one of the most tremendous ass-whoopings that the game of Scrabble has ever seen.

So we had 2 JASCers this holiday, and I know we can keep building bigger and bigger gatherings in the future! For all you 59th alums and future 60th JASCers out there reading this, JASC is about a whole lot more than a one-month conference. We just had a mini-reunion in Boston the other week (somebody write about it, please!) and whether planning or just reminiscing, none of us can get JASC out of our heads! I love you guys, and I hope to see you all at the next gathering!



Introducing Joshua Evan Schlachet (Josh, Schlacher, Schlac-Daddy, or what have you)

Occupation & Place of Residence: So, as convinced as you may have been from my profile that I'm an accountant from Afghanistan (the give-away may have been that this is the JAPAN-AMERICA Student Conference), I am, in fact, a student from Jersey, which is probably less cool, but also less likely to land me on a watch-list.

The Facts...
School Info: Cornell University '08, Culinary Institute of America Alum
Major: History & East Asian Studies
Birthday: 6 March 1982 (yes, I'm old...)

JASC Info...
Site: Los Angeles
Roundtable: Communicating Environmental Ethics
Positions: Publicity, Recruitment
59th JASC Roundtable: Pacifism & Belligerence

Favorites...
Movies: Savage Instinct, No Retreat No Surrender, Future War, Tokyo Drift, Quick & The Dead...let's just say all the worst garbage that would make most normal people claw their eyes out
Interests: Japanese history, cooking, writing, traveling
Quotes (should I have just pasted my facebook profile?):
"Going back to when we were children, I think most of us thought that justice came into being automatically, that virtue is its own reward, that good would triumph over evil. But aswe get older, we know this just isn’t true. Individual human beings have to create justice, and this is not easy because the truth often poses a threat to power, and one often has to fight power at great risk to themselves."
--Kevin Costner, JFK


You've already gotten a couple fantastic plugs for JASC from Hidemi and Nancy, so let it suffice to say that JASC is something incredibly special to me, both for the experiences I had and especially for the people I had the pleasure of meeting. These are my lifelong friends, and the intense month we spent together was only the beginning. I can't wait to meet all you soon-to-be 60th JASCers and watch us all make these same unbreakable bonds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) I didn't know that you have soo many hobbies;D I miss talking to you on skype;D bla bla.Madelaine;]